Re: Hi & Distro Recomendation for newbie

From: Tim Jordan <tim@pcs-alaska.com>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 14:57:16 AKDT

Weber, Brent wrote:

>Hello all...
>

>I am starting a data warehousing project at work and have about 15 years
>experience developing Windows applications. I have never worked with
>Linux. I have played around with FreeBSD a bit at home.
>

>After two weeks of hard thought, I typed "FORMAT C:" on my test server.
>

>I am leaning towards Slackware on the server and Services for Unix on my
>dev box. I have heard that Slackware is not for beginners. I don't see
>any need to install a desktop on the server, so I like its text based
>nature. Am I biting off more than I can chew, or can someone with good
>tech skills manage Slackware as their first Linux experience? Any
>advice is welcome.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Brent

Slax is a Live Linux distro based on Slackware. They have several
variations. Sounds like you may like the "Frodo" edition which is only
a 47MB download.

http://slax.linux-live.org/download.php

"SLAX Frodo edition is the console base for all other SLAX releases. It
doesn't contain almost anything, only full working Linux command prompt
and drivers."

Personally being a Windows admin I like the desktop. I chose the
"standard" edition which has KDE 3.4 ready to go. I booted into the
Live system and had it installed onto a laptop in under 30 minutes.

Not to mention you can use the Live Scripts on this sight to "roll your
own" distro.

Good luck,
Tim