Re: Hi & Distro Recomendation for newbie

From: Neil Moomey <neil@neilmoomey.com>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 16:46:05 AKDT

We're running SUSE with MySQL for our database stuff and it's rock solid.
If all you want is to run a database any flavor will work fine. I just
remote in with SSH for everything but X-Windows is fun to learn on. We have
Windows Server 2003 with SQL Server running on the same type of hardware and
it crashes all the time. Sometimes it even reboots on a big SQL query.
Linux and MySQL has yet to give us any problems. Also consider PostgreSQL.
I've heard nothing but good news about it. MySQL is very nice but I miss
stored procedures, views, and DTS packages. That will change soon.

Neil