just blowing off a little steamabout xp

From: Jim Gribbin <Jim@JimGribbin.com>
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 00:05:24 AKDT

I had to do something on my sisters computer running xp-home, sucker had
so much spyware/adware on it it was hard to use.
Damn thing has Norton Anti-Virus (updated) and whatever that adware
program billy supplies. 445 pieces of adware/spyware on it. Only about
12 different ones, but so many multiple instances that it totaled 445.

Spybot took care of most of them, but there was one called WinTools. I
probably spent 30 min. researching it with Google. Then rebooting in
Safe Mode, un-registering dll's, rebooting, attempting to delete files,
rebooting into Safe-Mode to re-un-register because either they left one
.dll out of the documentation or the spyware had another .dll that the
hadn't mentioned and all had re-registered themselves, finally removing
files, about an hour of finding and removing keys from the registry,
then finally re-running Spybot to clean up. All kinds of fun.

Total time spent: about 4 1/2 to 5 hours. 2+ on the last one alone.

What I really loved about the last one was that according to the
documentation on its removal, it was originally installed by ActiveX
(for an ENHANCED Internet experience - horse hockey).

--
Jim Gribbin
Prudential Jack White/Vista RE