Re: webhosting?

From: bdk <bdk@thirdmason.com>
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 23:50:11 AKDT

I used to have a reseller package from HostElite/ProWebSpace and in the
beginning it was alright, 2gb hdd & 25gb xfer/month for $15. They used
DirectAdmin as the interface and it was hosted out of EV1. In the
beginning it was nice, not that many ppl on the box, but after a couple
of months the server really lagged, and somewhere I found a site that
was able to look up how many domains resolved to a certain IP address. I
found nearly 300 domains to the shared IP of the box and I'm sure like
me, other people had extra IPs that they were using too. During peak
time, the load averages were anywhere from 60 to 190. The box was a P4
2.8ghz with 1gb RAM and was excruciatingly slow. From what I've read,
the Achilles heel for servers like this is the IMAP server. Users will
hold hundreds of email, some with attachments and they all want to check
them at the same time. With 300 domains, and I'm figuring at least 5
emails each, yikes... it was slow, if it responded at all.

The lesson that I've found is that you'll run into hosting companys that
don't really care about their reputation and thus oversell the server
and promptly trash any email that complains about the downtime or
slowness. Last month alone there was 42hrs of downtime
(http://uptime.alertra.com/uptime.php?id2=1107&id1=398501). They
guaranteed something like 99% uptime or you would get some sort of
refund or credit. I cringe at the idea of having to convince them to
give me a refund, I'm just glad that as of the end of this month I don't
have to deal with them anymore.

After pricing $180/year for crappy service, I ended up buying
DirectAdmin at $200/year, moving all my domains locally and hosting
everything myself on my own box that I can control.

Beware of oversold hosting companys and don't enter into any long term
contracts in case they stick you with a server that has some greedy users.

-bdk