RE: just blowing off a little steamabout xp

From: Stephen King <sking@chartercollege.edu>
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 12:41:31 AKDT

Yeah...I usually get by with Adaware, Spybot, and MS Antispyware, run in
sequence a couple times. I've had a couple of spyware infestations that
were just unbeatable, though. Somewhere out there there's at least one
little twerp who's cost me a lot of time. =20

Was interesting...the friends of mine who're on Xandros (a Debian-based
non-free distro) just upgraded to Business Edition 3. Installs with
antivirus and firewall by default. Plus it recognized the NIC
immediately, something I'd had to recompile the kernel to deal with on
version 2 (blech...I'm a networker, not a programmer).

Funny, this computer world. Computers are complex, no? Somebody has to
deal with the complexity. Micro$oft has proven rather inept at it, but
what I've seen from attempts in other OS's to be "as easy as Windows"
hasn't proven much better, honestly. That leaves it to the user and/or
the user's consultant, and odds are the user isn't all that interested.
Not that I blame them; my lawyer friend is about as interested in
learning computers as I am in learning law. So that leaves us
constantly shaking our heads over ineptitude in the software side AND
Stupid User Tricks. =20

*sigh* So much for philosophy...back to work now.

Stephen