Re: opinions on Window Managers please

Subject: Re: opinions on Window Managers please
From: Peter Steven House (aspsh4@uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 17:57:14 AKST

Anybody out there try Oroborus? I've looked at it and read some of the
documentation. It looks very flexible, and hence, a bit obscure. Thoughts?

Clay Scott wrote:

>i've tried almost every window manager available at
>one time or another. sawfish looked promising, but i
>didn't like the fact that you have to have a good
>grasp of lisp to customize it. fluxbox lasted longer
>and is a good choice, but it just didn't have the
>features i wanted at the time though i'm sure it's
>matured quite abit since then. i've always fallen
>back on tried and true enlightenment 0.16.6. it's
>small, fast (unless you're running on a pentium233
>or less) and had ridiculously easy to edit
>plain-text config files. change anything, hit
>ctrl+alt+end and your changes take effect
>immediately. people like to say it's a resource hog,
>but that all depends on how you have it set up. i've
>seen it take up as much as 7MB of memory, but that
>was on machine with a 3x3 virtual desktop all
>running at 1280x1024 with high-res backgrounds and
>an etheme with a ton of images. on this machine it
>runs a 2x2 virtual desktop at 1024x768, low file
>size desktop images and a pretty simple theme
>(minEguE) and it clocks in at a whopping 1.06MB of
>used memory. this machine is a 1.55ghz athlon with
>1gb ram so it would likely run even faster for you.
>
>they're all worth trying, but i've mentioned the
>three that i consider to be the best.
>
>just my $0.02,
>
>~clay

"Then you should say what you mean," the March Hare went on.
"I do, " Alice hastily replied; "at least I mean what I say, that's the same thing, you know."
"Not the same thing a bit!" said the Hatter.
"Why, you might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as
"I eat what I see!" - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland.