Re: opinions on Window Managers please

Subject: Re: opinions on Window Managers please
From: Clay Scott (rudeboy@gci.net)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 11:54:49 AKST

i've tried almost every window manager available at
one time or another. sawfish looked promising, but i
didn't like the fact that you have to have a good
grasp of lisp to customize it. fluxbox lasted longer
and is a good choice, but it just didn't have the
features i wanted at the time though i'm sure it's
matured quite abit since then. i've always fallen
back on tried and true enlightenment 0.16.6. it's
small, fast (unless you're running on a pentium233
or less) and had ridiculously easy to edit
plain-text config files. change anything, hit
ctrl+alt+end and your changes take effect
immediately. people like to say it's a resource hog,
but that all depends on how you have it set up. i've
seen it take up as much as 7MB of memory, but that
was on machine with a 3x3 virtual desktop all
running at 1280x1024 with high-res backgrounds and
an etheme with a ton of images. on this machine it
runs a 2x2 virtual desktop at 1024x768, low file
size desktop images and a pretty simple theme
(minEguE) and it clocks in at a whopping 1.06MB of
used memory. this machine is a 1.55ghz athlon with
1gb ram so it would likely run even faster for you.

they're all worth trying, but i've mentioned the
three that i consider to be the best.

just my $0.02,

~clay