Re: networking /dns question

Subject: Re: networking /dns question
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 18:59:07 AKST

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:04:46 -0900
"Scott Johnson" <sjohnson@akghetto.com> wrote:

> Before I continue to troubleshoot the situation, can anyone see a networking
> conflict of having a box set to listen for DNS requests, querry another DNS
> server for the answer, all while having IPv4 forwarding enabled? I'm
> thinking there could be a possible conflict with the box listening, creating
> a new connection, and trying to route all at the same time. Otherwise
> though, things like Apache on this same box work absolutly fine, so I would
> think Bind wouldn't have an issue either.........

Off the top of my head, as long as the forwarders section in named.conf is set up correctly, and you're able to successfully route out to the internet, you shouldn't have any problem. Even with IP forwarding enabled, your box should know the difference between the internal and external subnets.

You say Apache works on the same box, so your routing is probably fine. I would double-check the forwarders section of your named.conf to make sure there's no typo in the IP address, etc.

Cheers,

James