networking /dns question

Subject: networking /dns question
From: Scott Johnson (sjohnson@akghetto.com)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 22:04:46 AKST

I have a RH 9 box I recently turned into a router by simply enabling IPv4
forwarding between 2 different subnets. I'm wanting to also add a DNS
server on top of the routing, but am having some issues.

Setting up Bind and specifying my own internal zones, and setting both my
DNS server and default gw on the workstation to 172.26.1.1 (ip addy of box),
Bind resolves the internal names fine. However when attempting to have the
Bind daemon forward unknown requests to either GCI or ACS's DNS servers (or
query the root TLD's), Bind fails with a time-out error.

Before I continue to troubleshoot the situation, can anyone see a networking
conflict of having a box set to listen for DNS requests, querry another DNS
server for the answer, all while having IPv4 forwarding enabled? I'm
thinking there could be a possible conflict with the box listening, creating
a new connection, and trying to route all at the same time. Otherwise
though, things like Apache on this same box work absolutly fine, so I would
think Bind wouldn't have an issue either.........

Any responses appreciated.

Scott

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s