Re: mysql error

Subject: Re: mysql error
From: Michael Fowler (michael@shoebox.net)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 16:39:25 AKST

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 10:30:28PM -0900, Graham Siebe wrote:
> it's suse 9.0. I did a clean re-install (to rule out anything I might
> have done), then added the "simple Apache2 server" group (it includes
> mysql). Now it does this:
>
> gsiebe@linux:~> mysql
> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

That (2) means ENOENT, no such file or directory. What does `ls -l` say?
Are you certain the mysql daemon is running? What is the client.socket
and mysqld.socket settings in /etc/mysql/my.cnf (or your system's
equivalent)? I ask because the server may be creating a different socket
file than what the clients are looking for.

As a workaround you could connect over the network, instead of using a
socket file, provided your server is setup for it:

    mysql -h localhost

--
Michael Fowler
www.shoebox.net