Re: Recording webcams

Subject: Re: Recording webcams
From: Alan Heckart (alan@alaskancomputers.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 17:23:21 AKDT

     = http://www.stardot-tech.com/= [0] = We use several of the "Netcams",
and now are= populating an = "Express6". They are linux and serve the images
with= an internal web server, they= also ftp images. We currently ftp
everything up to our file= server, the run a cron which archives the images
weekly. Anyone= in-house can pull up the cameras to keep an eye on things
with a= browser, i.e. lobby, production plant...They also have motion=
detection software which will grab images, but it requires a= windows
client....Lot's of options solar power, wind= power...etc. = I've also set
it up so the images would be combined into video= with mjpeg tools, once
again would have a cron run it early= morning then review the mpeg to see
ifthere was any= activity... = Hope this helps... = AH = On Tue,
14 Oct 2003 16:44:28 -0800, Jim Courtney= wrote: = >>At one time I= used a
program from http://motion.sourceforge.n= et[0]. It >can= be >set up to=
record snapshots to disk only upon detecting a change= in = >the >image.
The=sensitivity and the delay between snapshots are = >configurable, >and it
can= convert the snapshots to an mpeg movie and send emails= or = >run
>external= programs after detecting an event. You can capture a= whole =
>days >activity in= very little space (around here anyway...) Lots of= fun.
=>JC = >>At 03:54 PM= 10/14/2003 -0800, Jon Reynolds wrote: = >>>We are=
setting up some webcams for security and I am wondering= if = >>there >>is a
way= to record the output on a machine other than the one= the = >>camera
>>is= connected to. The camera will be at a remote site and I want= to =
>>be>>able to= either capture screenshots or, ideally, be able to= record =
>>the = >>video. = >>>>Is this= possible? = >>= >>Jon = >>= >>---------
body.