Re: Recording webcams

Subject: Re: Recording webcams
From: shortpier (shortpier@shortpier.is-a-geek.com)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 12:04:20 AKDT

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 15:54, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> We are setting up some webcams for security and I am wondering if there
> is a way to record the output on a machine other than the one the camera
> is connected to. The camera will be at a remote site and I want to be
> able to either capture screenshots or, ideally, be able to record the
> video.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Jon

I have set up 2 systems for Clients
One uses 12 X10 cams
other uses a standard 4 cam time laspe vcr and 4 cams

Both outputs are connected to a bttv card ($50 ati tv wonder VE)

I used FFMPEG and FFSERVER to serve both ondemand Live asf streams and a
still shot jpg.

Stream are a 34kps (modem) 128kps and 256kps

one box is a athlon xp 2400 128 megs ram
other is athlon XP2700 512 megs ram

2400 =30% cpu to do this
2700 = 26% cpu

Both are Walmart Emachines with Mandrake 9.1 PLF with a few custom perl
scripts (GPL scripts modified for what I want)

Still shots are date/time stamped in file name, are kept in 15 min
groups and auto archived into day and month, auto generated web page
with thumbnail links, ASF modem stream embeded in the web page, links to
.ask files for other speed streams.

Use .htaccess files for user/pass for security

Hope this helps... I guess I need to Write a HOWTO on how I Did this
(its worth money to small busineess to monitor there place from home
ETC)

Shortpier

--

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar -- -- File: signature.asc -- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part