RE: dhcp and new machines

Subject: RE: dhcp and new machines
From: Barsalou (barjunk@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 11:50:25 AKDT

Thing is...it could be anything...Mac, Win32, Linux. That's why I
thought we would just identify the machine and just show up where it is
plugged in....Big Brother is watching <hehehe>

Ideally, people would figure out after a while that they should have the
machine scanned before they put it on the net.

We could also organize it so that all the current machines, although
served by dhcp, got the same address...any mac address that isn't in the
database, doesn't get an IP. That doesn't stop someone from using a
static address, but it means they have to be a little bit smarter to get
on the network, and hopefully are doing more with virus protection.

Mike

--
Barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>