Re: Managing mail

Subject: Re: Managing mail
From: David J. Weller-Fahy (dave-lists-aklug@weller-fahy.com)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 21:19:18 AKDT

* Barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> [2003-09-11 15:29]:
> I am writing this in the hopes I can get my mind around a problem that
> I am trying to solve.
>
> I have accounts that are at attglobal.net
>
> I would like to move that e-mail to my local machine so that it
> appears in my imap server as if it was delivered directly there.

You might want to check out getmail[0] for this part. I use it to
deliver the three email addresses that aren't hosted on my machine
locally.

> There are two main reasons for doing this:
>
> 1. to implement a local spam filter

I do this. I use maildrop as the LDA, and run SpamAssassin from the
filter files to tag any mail that hasn't already been tagged. I use two
filter rule files, one for mail delivered directly to my system
(weller-fahy.com and weller-kin.com) and one for my email accounts that
I use getmail to pull (largely at innocent dot com and sleepy at gci dot
net).

I actually run SpamAssassin at two different levels: One to filter all
mail coming into the system directly (that's at the MTA level), and
another by user setup for any mail downloaded by getmail. It seems to
work well.

> Thanks for any hints on direction about what I might be needing to do.

No worries, hope I helped

0 - http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/software/getmail-3.0/

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]