Re: RE: Gentoo 1.4 released

Subject: Re: RE: Gentoo 1.4 released
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 08:32:54 AKDT

Thanks for the info. This is my first Gentoo install. I decided to go with the stage2 for 686 (Installing on my PII laptop). I had already downloaded the Athlon ISO, so I booted with that, and then just downloaded the 686 stage2 tarball and installed using that. It's working out so far.

I figure I will save the stage1 install until after I get a better feel for Gentoo. Maybe if I decide to install it on my AthlonXP desktop.

Are you talking about the genkernel script? I decided to try it out too. Seems to be working so far - my laptop should be just about wrapping up compiling the kernel. I will just compile my own kernel later if I don't like it.

Fwew.. my poor laptop is going to be compiling until the cows come home. And I haven't even gotten to compiling X-and-friends yet. I use blackbox, but I think I'm still going to need to compile Gnome/KDE support for the applications that need it..

Justin