Re: RE: Gentoo 1.4 released

Subject: Re: RE: Gentoo 1.4 released
From: Jacob Gemmell (evilbob@sdf.lonestar.org)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 09:09:05 AKDT

One thing you may want to try if your installing gentoo on a slow machine
and you already have a linux box up is playing around with
distcc(http://distcc.samba.org). It distributes the load when compiling.
There is some info in the gentoo forums on setting up gentoo while using
distcc.

Currently I have a minimalist gentoo install on a vmware on my Windows
box. I just have enough to have the system run, with distcc. When doing
large installs (kde, openoffice, mozilla) I will fire up the vmware and
let my linux and windows box share the load. It does make a difference.
And the nice thing is that you can use as many computers as have. My
ultimate goal is a nice cluster of computers that can finish open office
in under a hour.

--
evilbob@sdf.lonestar.org