Re: gigabit controller support

Subject: Re: gigabit controller support
From: Jim Dory (jdory@gci.net)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 11:19:33 AKDT

Jim Dory wrote:

>I'm trying to move to Suse 8.2 for a desktop. Don't know much about it.
>But I'm having trouble getting any network/internet connectivity.
>
>The motherboard is a new 865 Abit IS7 with an onboard ethernet
>controller. I haven't found anything on google about it, or the suse
>usergroup. The chip is reportedly a 3com lom 3c940 gigabit ethernet
>controller. The motherboard is supposed to have a Realtek 10/100, but
>they slapped gigabit chips in instead, so documentation is not good. The
>only way I could get it working with Win98 SE was by downloading the
>driver from the IS7-G board which doesn't even list Win98 - just win ME
>and up. But got it working.
>
>Thanks, Jim

Hey,
Just in case the archives ever get to working, or at least my ability to
use them improves, here's the answer to my problem above: (watch the
line-wrap)

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=57d18d86bc0378563cb17ea66cf54005&threadid=70621&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

and for a shortcut, grab the latest sk98lin driver for the 3c940 (also
known as 3c2000) chip from here:
www.syskonnect.de <http://www.syskonnect.de>

cheers, JD