gigabit controller support

Subject: gigabit controller support
From: Jim Dory (jdory@gci.net)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 19:36:36 AKDT

I'm trying to move to Suse 8.2 for a desktop. Don't know much about it.
But I'm having trouble getting any network/internet connectivity.

The motherboard is a new 865 Abit IS7 with an onboard ethernet
controller. I haven't found anything on google about it, or the suse
usergroup. The chip is reportedly a 3com lom 3c940 gigabit ethernet
controller. The motherboard is supposed to have a Realtek 10/100, but
they slapped gigabit chips in instead, so documentation is not good. The
only way I could get it working with Win98 SE was by downloading the
driver from the IS7-G board which doesn't even list Win98 - just win ME
and up. But got it working.

Before I got it working in Win98 though, I grabbed a 3com905cx card and
slammed that in. I couldn't even get it working in Win98, but it may
have been operator error. But I haven't been able to get it to work in
Suse either. Watching the boot messages, it says 'failed' on both eth0,
the onboard chip, and eth1, the 905. If I go into Yast and edit eth1,
the 905, it lists the module as 3c59x, which doesn't work. If I change
it to 3c90x, nothing works. If I go into
/lib/modules/2.4***/kernels/drivers/net (or whatever the path) I see
3c90x.o in there, but a modprobe fails.

I've tried different slots. It won't even ping itself. If I do ifconfig
eth1, it cannot locate device, though Yast shows it. I've assigned it a
static ip number in my home network, the router gateway, and gci dns, as
well as not, and nothing works.

So I expect that the 2.4.20 kernel may not support the gigabit chip, but
I'm stumped by the card not working.

So far I don't have any other devices in the computer but a floppy, a
sata serial hdd, and a liteon CDRW. So I wouldn't expect an IRQ problem.
I'm probably missing something simple. Any ideas to try?

Thanks, Jim