Re: gigabit controller support

Subject: Re: gigabit controller support
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net )
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 09:02:46 AKDT

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 07:36:36PM -0800, Jim Dory wrote:

> I'm trying to move to Suse 8.2 for a desktop. Don't know much about it.
> But I'm having trouble getting any network/internet connectivity.
>
> The motherboard is a new 865 Abit IS7 with an onboard ethernet
> controller. I haven't found anything on google about it, or the suse
> usergroup. The chip is reportedly a 3com lom 3c940 gigabit ethernet
> controller. The motherboard is supposed to have a Realtek 10/100, but
> they slapped gigabit chips in instead, so documentation is not good. The
> only way I could get it working with Win98 SE was by downloading the
> driver from the IS7-G board which doesn't even list Win98 - just win ME
> and up. But got it working.
>
> Before I got it working in Win98 though, I grabbed a 3com905cx card and
> slammed that in. I couldn't even get it working in Win98, but it may
> have been operator error. But I haven't been able to get it to work in
> Suse either. Watching the boot messages, it says 'failed' on both eth0,
> the onboard chip, and eth1, the 905. If I go into Yast and edit eth1,
> the 905, it lists the module as 3c59x, which doesn't work. If I change
> it to 3c90x, nothing works. If I go into
> /lib/modules/2.4***/kernels/drivers/net (or whatever the path) I see
> 3c90x.o in there, but a modprobe fails.
>
> I've tried different slots. It won't even ping itself. If I do ifconfig
> eth1, it cannot locate device, though Yast shows it. I've assigned it a
> static ip number in my home network, the router gateway, and gci dns, as
> well as not, and nothing works.
>
> So I expect that the 2.4.20 kernel may not support the gigabit chip, but
> I'm stumped by the card not working.
>
> So far I don't have any other devices in the computer but a floppy, a
> sata serial hdd, and a liteon CDRW. So I wouldn't expect an IRQ problem.
> I'm probably missing something simple. Any ideas to try?
>
> Thanks, Jim
>
> ---------
Here is a thought: make sure PnP is turned off in the BIOS. While you
are there, check that the various onboard I/O thingys are enabled that
you want enabled.

Last week, I discovered this problem in a Dell. Upon boot, I could see
the modules for the parallel port were failing to load. It never occured
to me this I/O dingus would ever be included in the PnP business. W98
had no problem, but I couldn't print in Linux. I had to disable the PnP
in general _and_ set the parallel port manually (it knew it needed IRQ 7
and I/O 0x378(?)) and set the protocol.

Cheerio! fgd.

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .-.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Woody" v3.0r1