Re: which video card

Subject: Re: which video card
From: Jim Dory (jdory@gci.net)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 19:11:59 AKDT

Stanley Long wrote:

>James Dory wrote:
>

>>Hey,
>>
>>I've got an Abit IS-7 motherboard coming to build me a new computer and
>>was wondering what a good video card to use would be. I do have a copy
>>of Suse 8.2.
>>
>>I don't do any gaming. Mostly autocad and graphics, other than your
>>basic stuff. Right now my monitor is a several years old Dell crt but am
>>keeping my eyes open for a great TFT if such a beast exists for editing
>>photos. I'm using mostly photoshop for that under Win98 but want to
>>switch over to linux with the new computer. I've heard LCD monitors have
>>a hard time with accurate color reproduction, but maybe by now that is
>>no longer true. I've been looking for reviews of the Sharp LL-t9d1 or
>>whatever model it is.. a new 19" with good looking specs but few reviews.
>>
>>My present computer has a matrox g200. I thought I would just go with
>>the G450 or 550, just cause they're basic 2d autocad cards, but maybe
>>I'll play around with some of the 3d modeling programs emerging for linux.
>>
>>So any recommendations on other cards/monitors?
>>

>This SuSE 8.2 box uses a Matrox G550.
>Its the one I take to Friday Linux sessions.
>
>The CAD machine is SuSE 7.2 with a Matrox G450.
>Feel free to come by and see what differences you see.
>
>As to the CAD, I use VariCad <http://www.varicad.com> for my 2D
>architectural construction drawings ( electrical power and lighting
>stuff). The package is really intended for 3D work, so you might try the
>demo. It is NOT crippled.
>
>Stan Long
>337-6161

Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and order one.. they're not that much
money. (comparatively).

Love to drop by but I'm up in Nome. Maybe if I spend some time in
Anchorage I'll try and come by. I may be down before long for some Arc
View training. And when I get everything all set up, I'll look into varicad.

How was setting up sound in Suse 8.2? I've seen on some newsgroups that
it may not be the best distro for that, but I suppose fine for basic
stuff if not more. I'm going to try setting up a linux box eventually
for sound engineering (Digital Audio Workstation - maybe using something
like Ardour. http://ardour.sourceforge.net/ ). As a hobby only for a
hobby band.. but I need something. This old Win98 box isn't cutting it
anymore.

cheers, Jd