Re: which video card

Subject: Re: which video card
From: Stanley Long (slong@customcpu.com)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 16:10:03 AKDT

James Dory wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've got an Abit IS-7 motherboard coming to build me a new computer and
> was wondering what a good video card to use would be. I do have a copy
> of Suse 8.2.
>
> I don't do any gaming. Mostly autocad and graphics, other than your
> basic stuff. Right now my monitor is a several years old Dell crt but am
> keeping my eyes open for a great TFT if such a beast exists for editing
> photos. I'm using mostly photoshop for that under Win98 but want to
> switch over to linux with the new computer. I've heard LCD monitors have
> a hard time with accurate color reproduction, but maybe by now that is
> no longer true. I've been looking for reviews of the Sharp LL-t9d1 or
> whatever model it is.. a new 19" with good looking specs but few reviews.
>
> My present computer has a matrox g200. I thought I would just go with
> the G450 or 550, just cause they're basic 2d autocad cards, but maybe
> I'll play around with some of the 3d modeling programs emerging for linux.
>
> So any recommendations on other cards/monitors?

This SuSE 8.2 box uses a Matrox G550.
Its the one I take to Friday Linux sessions.

The CAD machine is SuSE 7.2 with a Matrox G450.
Feel free to come by and see what differences you see.

As to the CAD, I use VariCad <http://www.varicad.com> for my 2D
architectural construction drawings ( electrical power and lighting
stuff). The package is really intended for 3D work, so you might try the
demo. It is NOT crippled.

Stan Long
337-6161