which video card

Subject: which video card
From: James Dory (jdory@gci.net)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 13:42:14 AKDT

Hey,

I've got an Abit IS-7 motherboard coming to build me a new computer and
was wondering what a good video card to use would be. I do have a copy
of Suse 8.2.

I don't do any gaming. Mostly autocad and graphics, other than your
basic stuff. Right now my monitor is a several years old Dell crt but am
keeping my eyes open for a great TFT if such a beast exists for editing
photos. I'm using mostly photoshop for that under Win98 but want to
switch over to linux with the new computer. I've heard LCD monitors have
a hard time with accurate color reproduction, but maybe by now that is
no longer true. I've been looking for reviews of the Sharp LL-t9d1 or
whatever model it is.. a new 19" with good looking specs but few reviews.

My present computer has a matrox g200. I thought I would just go with
the G450 or 550, just cause they're basic 2d autocad cards, but maybe
I'll play around with some of the 3d modeling programs emerging for linux.

So any recommendations on other cards/monitors?