Re: AKLUG organizational meeting

Subject: Re: AKLUG organizational meeting
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 13:35:03 AKDT

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 00:09, Jim Gribbin wrote:

> We had an organizational meeting tonight at the BP Energy Center.It ran
> from just after 7 pm to just after 9 pm. In attendance were:
>
> Stephan Stevens,
> Stan Long,
> Damien Hull,
> Fielder George Dowding,
> Scott Ridgway,
> Justin Dieter,
> Bob Pelz,
> Greg Madden,
> Jim Gribbin,
> Pat Wilke,
> Dee McKinney,
> Joel Grabe,
> Harmut Pluntke.
>
> We have come of the opinion that for AKLUG to continue to exist that it
> needs to become formally organized as a legitimate non-profit
> organization, probably a 501(c)3.

My perspective on the events of last night, Jim . AKLUG can continue to
exist exactly as it has been doing. In fact the meeting was to accept
nominations for President & set up an election. Having a president is in
keeping with the status quo for AKLUG. There was only one response or
volunteer for president so it was decided we could forgo the online
election process and elect the only candidate available. That would be
Greg madden

Where AKLUG goes from here was discussed at length and this is where the
concepts of incorporation and 501(c)3 status entered the discussion. To
be clear, incorporation is a separate process. It takes three officers
to become a non-profit corporation in the State of Alaska.

The 501(c)3 status is an IRS designation, of non-profit status, to an
existing non-profit corporation.

I think it is helpful to separate all the different possibilities. this
gives members a choice of actions. It is not all or nothing but pick and
choose what works best for what AKLUG wants to accomplish.

I agree with your perspective on the desires of the members present at
the meeting concerning: 1. incorporating & 2. filing for 501(c)3
status. Unless otherwise stated by members, we will create the position
of Secretary& Treasure. We have two volunteers for those positions as
you have pointed out. Once we have filled those positions AKLUG will be
in a position to file for corporation status with the state. It is the
intent of the elected officers & members present at the meeting to file
for corporation status with the State of Alaska.

The filing for 501(c)3 status will proceed once the above is finished.
This has (imo) the most impact on AKLUG and could use some discussion. I
know there are aspects to this that I am not aware of and need to
educate myself about.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.