Re: wlan-ng

Subject: Re: wlan-ng
From: Andy Firman (lug@firman.us)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 13:59:41 AKDT

On Friday 02 May 2003 01:28 pm, Adam Elkins wrote:
> I've been using my WPC11 with slack for some time now. Usually all I have
> to do is insert the card, and tell it to grab an ip... This time, dhcpcd
> doesn't work. ifconfig -a shouws wlan0 is there, and iwconfig does as well.
> But, when I try to use the card, It says No Such Device... Any ideas?

Not sure what you mean by "try to use the card" but I have seen this
problem myself. It has been a while though so I am going from memory.
If I recall correctly, iwconfig will return the "no such device" when
you call the wrong interface. Also, I am not sure about wlan0 as
all of my wireless nic's were simply eth1. Never used wlan0.

If you are not getting an IP address via dhcp, try giving it one manually.
This is how I have always fixed this problem. If your card is eth1
and you are on a typical 192.168.1.0 private network:

ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.88
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

Then of course use iwconfig to set the essid:

iwconfig eth1 essid whatever

Then if you have encryption do:

iwconfig eth1 enc 123456789xxxx

Is cardmgr running? PCMCIA calls cardmgr I think.

That is all I can think of right now.
Email more details and I will try to help you out.

--

Thanks,

Andy Firman CompTIA Network+, A+, & Linux+ Certified http://www.firmanconsulting.com/