Re: OT GCI E-Mail

Subject: Re: OT GCI E-Mail
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 23:51:07 AKDT

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Greg Jetter wrote:

> yes me as well it seem that GCI has been selling e-mail addresses
> to=20 spammers , or so=20 I've heard , when I've recieved then it has
> been as one of many =20 recipenants in the to: header all ending with
> @gci.net. I don't know w= hat=20 to do besides setting up a filter.
> Since GCI spends the majority of thei= r=20 time rebooting , or fixing
> problems (my e-mail account has been down fo= r=20 days at a time) I
> suppose the next thing is to report them to spam cop.

Greg, you need to look somewhat beyond the To: header in order to identify
the origin of spam. To be honest, the To: header hasn't the slightest
thing to do with the origin of any email, and why should it? It relates
to the destination, not the origin. Even the From: header is completely
untrustworthy when trying to determine the origin of email, because it is
trivially forged.

The *only* way to trace the path of any email message is via the Received:
headers.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax