Re: New to linux. Can you....

Subject: Re: New to linux. Can you....
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 22:17:27 AKST

Hello Deneb..

1) Many games now have Linux ports - the most recent and notable being
Unreal 2003 - it has support right out of the box. Unreal Tournament,
Quake 1/2/3, and many other games will run either natively, or with
Wine. There's tons and tons of small games, like the solitares,
minesweeper, asteroids, etc etc etc.. You can always dual-boot with
Windows if being guarenteed to be able to play any game is a must-have
priority.

2) Yes.. I use sendmail with imap. I use Mozilla to read mail at home,
and I have a webmail program set up so I can check my e-mail over the
web when I'm not at home.

3) Yes, definately. OpenOffice or StarOffice can read and write Office
files with pretty good consistancy. They are just as full-featured as
MSOffice. There's also KOffice, which is really good, and a few other
office suites as well.

There certainly is a learning curve coming from Windows to Linux, but
the program quality is as good or better than Windows counterparts. The
newer distrobutions (RedHat 8.0, Mandrake 9.2, SuSE 8.1) are a breeze to
install and configure.

Hope this helps,
Justin