Re: New to linux. Can you....

Subject: Re: New to linux. Can you....
From: Mike Mintz (mikemintz@subdimension.com)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 22:15:51 AKST

Linux does have a reputation for stability, but your friend probably just=
=20
doesn't quite know it well enough to utilize it. There are certainly less=
=20
bugs in Linux than in Windows because of the open source nature (anyone c=
an=20
find, report, and fix bugs), but you just may have more trouble learning =
how=20
to get things to work if you are used to Windows.

> 1) run most games with the same or slightly more bugs then windows XP

No, that is not a highlight of Linux. It has been improving drastically=20
recently, but if that's very important to you, at least keep Windows arou=
nd,=20
and dual-boot :). Popular games have been worked on more in WINE (a Windo=
ws=20
emulator) and variants, so you will have more luck with them, and games=20
written or ported specifically to Linux will run just fine (as long as yo=
u=20
might the system requirements of course). There are less games written=20
specifically for Linux than for Windows.

> 2) Run your own email server(no more hotmail)

Yeah, pretty easily, but if you don't have a 24/7 connection, you'll miss=
=20
emails, which would definitely not be a good thing.

> 3) run basic office programs (able to handle things like word and excel=
l(or
> equivlents))

Yes, basic being the keyword. You'll be able to open most important thing=
s=20
from Microsoft Word, but when there are complex nested tables or graphs o=
r=20
something, you'll have more trouble. In addition, Microsoft Office (or Wo=
rd,=20
I'm not sure if it was the whole thing or not) can be run under Linux thr=
ough=20
an emulator. But I'm sure you will like some of the native Linux office=20
applications.

 - Mike Mintz