Re: No Screens Found

Subject: Re: No Screens Found
From: Jim Gribbin (jewelrysupplier@gci.net)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 13:31:26 AKDT

I didn't notice what what you wrote the first time around. Normally on a
Red Hat 'server' install, X is not installed or set-up. You are going to
have to install the apropriate X packages for your system.

These aare the ones that show up on my RH 7.3 box:

[jgribbin@jimsajsws jgribbin]$ rpm -qa | grep XF
XFree86-tools-4.2.0-8
XFree86-twm-4.2.0-8
XFree86-ISO8859-15-100dpi-fonts-4.2.0-8
XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.2.0-8
XFree86-font-utils-4.2.0-8
XFree86-4.2.0-8
XFree86-xfs-4.2.0-8
XFree86-base-fonts-4.2.0-8
XFree86-xdm-4.2.0-8
XFree86-libs-4.2.0-8
XFree86-ISO8859-15-75dpi-fonts-4.2.0-8
XFree86-devel-4.2.0-8
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.2.0-8
[jgribbin@jimsajsws jgribbin]$

I am using nVidia's X server, so that isn't showing in my list. Yes, I
know I'm contaminated.

Then you should be able to run Xconfigurator as root and set everything
up.

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 12:07, David J. Weller-Fahy wrote:

> * James Raynor <bamf75@gci.net> [2002-09-10 09:30]:
> > Upon starting a fresh install of RH7.3 server I get:
> > Fatal server error:
> > no screens found
> >
> > Needless to say, I have no clue and was hoping that you folks would
> > help me get one. Thanks
>
> You may want to check your /etc/X11/XF86Config (or similar) file. It
> may be located in a different place on your system, because I'm running
> Gentoo, but the name should be similar. You should have a few different
> sections in there that define what video card you're using, and what
> monitor. Then, the 'Screen' section tells the X-Server to run X-Windows
> with this card, that monitor, and at these resolutions and color-depths.
>
> So, if you're missing the Screen section in that file, or you're missing
> one of the sections that the Screen section depends on, X won't start.
>
> Check out this url for more info on setting up X, and I'll close with
> some examples from my XF86Config file (so that you can see what might
> not be there). Oh, and the URL requires free registration.
>
> https://www6.software.ibm.com/developerworks/education/l-xwin/
>
> My file looks like this (for the 'Screens' section):
>
> #v+
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Screen0"
> Device "Card0"