Re: No Screens Found

Subject: Re: No Screens Found
From: David J. Weller-Fahy (largely@innocent.com)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 12:07:49 AKDT

* James Raynor <bamf75@gci.net> [2002-09-10 09:30]:
> Upon starting a fresh install of RH7.3 server I get:
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> Needless to say, I have no clue and was hoping that you folks would
> help me get one. Thanks

You may want to check your /etc/X11/XF86Config (or similar) file. It
may be located in a different place on your system, because I'm running
Gentoo, but the name should be similar. You should have a few different
sections in there that define what video card you're using, and what
monitor. Then, the 'Screen' section tells the X-Server to run X-Windows
with this card, that monitor, and at these resolutions and color-depths.

So, if you're missing the Screen section in that file, or you're missing
one of the sections that the Screen section depends on, X won't start.

Check out this url for more info on setting up X, and I'll close with
some examples from my XF86Config file (so that you can see what might
not be there). Oh, and the URL requires free registration.

https://www6.software.ibm.com/developerworks/education/l-xwin/

My file looks like this (for the 'Screens' section):

#v+
Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"