Re: Redhat 7.3 + Dell Inspiron 8100 + Nvidia 32M Video = NO FLIPPING X!!!!

Subject: Re: Redhat 7.3 + Dell Inspiron 8100 + Nvidia 32M Video = NO FLIPPING X!!!!
From: Jim Gribbin (jewelrysupplier@gci.net)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 14:02:03 AKDT

Have you tried it without nVidia's drivers? It should work with the
XFree drivers that come with RH, you just won't get the accelerated
stuff.

On the couple of laptops I've done, no Dell's or nVidias, the main
problem I've had was the monitor drivers - not the card drivers. I tend
to avoid the lcd choices and choose basic svga settings at the designed
resolution of the screen and the lowest refresh choice.

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 13:06, Mike Baker wrote:

> I have this running on my Dell lattitude with NVidia GeForce 2MX. I also had to comment out the lines Load GLCore and Load dri from the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.
>
> I got my instructions here:
> http://www.m5computersecurity.com/Linux-on-C810.html
>
> Bob Crosby wrote:
> I haven't looked at these, but it looks like you might not be alone...
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?num=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=dell+inspiron+8100+nvidia+geforce+linux+redhat&btnG=Google+Search
>
> At 04:28 PM 9/6/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >Looking for suggestions here.
> >
> >I have install Redhat 7.3 as a dual-boot with windows 2000, in it's =
> >entirety(EVERYTHING was installed), onto a Dell Inspiron 8100 with the =
> >Nvidia geoforce 2 go. Cannot get into X. I can get the Nvidia splash =
> >screen, then I get a tan and black honeycomb. I can cycle resolutions, =
> >but never get past the honeycomb stage.
> >
> >I have D/L'ed the latest Nvidia drivers in RPM, SRC, and TAR formats, =
> >installing each in it's own fashion. Once the driver is in, I modify the =
> >"nv" to "nvidia" per the advice of a multitude of documents found on the =
> >web. I have followed many of them verbatim, with no luck. I have done no =
> >less than 20 fresh installs of redhat, and while I have gotten some =
> >unresolved symbols with the packages on occasion, the results are =
> >generally the same. I have tried several different configurations =
> >through Xconfigurator, with different monitors, resolutions, etc...etc.
> >
> >I have looked in the XFree Logs and I cannot find anything that is =
> >actually "failing". It just seems to hang in limbo just before getting =
> >to X
> >
> >Being VERY new to Linux in general, I am sending this out in an effort =
> >to get some guidance on how to fix or trouble shoot the issue at hand. =
> >It MUST be something simple as all the how to's are straight forward and =
> >simple with a couple of very simple easy to perform tweaks...nothing =
> >complicated!
> >
> >FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, WILL SOMEONE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT =
> >DIRECTION!!!!!
> >
> >I am at the end of my rope here and am ready to go back to, dare I say =
> >it, Microsoft as a single OS on my laptop. The only face-saving item I =
> >have is that I have redhat up and running on my home PC...Ironically it =
> >has an Nvidia Geforce 2 in it, and X is running strong!=20
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Rick
> >
> >---------
> >To unsubscribe, send email to