Re: [aklug-ops] Looking for ISP that supports Linux

Subject: Re: [aklug-ops] Looking for ISP that supports Linux
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 10:52:48 AKDT

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Tom wrote:

> Oh, and FTR - mis-compiling a kernel on an Alpha will *not* make you
> happy. Apparently my AS800 is a "corelle" variant of the Noritake family,
> yet compiling a Noritake kernel hangs on boot. As the kernel doesn't
> understand 'corelle' or 'noritake-p', all you can use is generic. Anyone
> have a good idea on how to fix that? (One that keeps me out of the 2.5
> kernel tree, anyway <g>)

I may be wrong, but I thought I remember seeing something on axp-list that
for as800 you also need to select "EV5 CPU daughtercard (model 5/xxx)"
when you select the Noritake cpu type.

Even so, I don't think you're giving up much at all if you compile a
Generic kernel--according to linux/arch/alpha/Makefile you're still
compiling for ev5:

  ifeq ($(CONFIG_ALPHA_GENERIC),y)
    CFLAGS := $(CFLAGS) -mcpu=ev5

For my 164LX I used to use Generic, except I also changed the above to

    CFLAGS := $(CFLAGS) -mcpu=ev56

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax