RE: reviving old computers

Subject: RE: reviving old computers
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 08:36:38 AKDT

Dominic,

I followed this one of the links to the fact that it is a legal requirement
to keep the OS with the PC...however, what the article fails to grasp is
that they are speaking of how you would use the Windows license.

For example..if you bought an OEM machine with Windows, then donated the
machine, you would be required to give the OS to the company as well. You
could not install the OS that was on the OEM machine onto a different
machine.

They do not control what operating system that you can put on a PC that you
buy from a manufacturer.

I am not a lawyer either, and I can see how it would be easy to misconstrue
the message from Microsoft's website.

If you look at the first question and answer, you might be able to draw the
same conclusion as the author of that article...but I believe he is mistaken
and what I described above is correct.

Any other opinions?

Mike