RE: reviving old computers

Subject: RE: reviving old computers
From: Larry Collier (larry@medease.net)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 12:54:35 AKDT

My question is "what is a computer?" My windows system has migrated through
several motherboards, cpus, power supplies, cases, video cards, etc. There
isn't anything original left except my windows license. Since I put it
together from parts it doesn't have a manufacturer serial number. I got the
OEM license when I bought a disk drive.

You can get Microsoft oem licenses by buying dimms. What's the legal
attachment? I think that this would be very difficult to argue in court
unless you buy the judge.

Larry

http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17546.html

~Dom

Mike Barsalou wrote:

> I have done some of this myself...with mixed results.
>
> For example, I approached someone that didn't have a computer with the
idea that I would give them a machine would be able to access e-mail.
Initially they were excited. Then we discussed, because the machine was old
and underpowered, that you would be using a text based mail reader.

> Right away the excitement left...they said that they wanted to be able to
get/send pictures with their friends as well as browse the internet.

> Now with a 56k modem X doesn't have to be terribly fast, but there is a
lower limit...anyone know what it is?

> At one point I was able to setup a very minimal X with netscape as the
browser. It ran reasonably well...probably could have used some more
memory.

> Why don't we try and come up with a good "standard" for the type of
machine that would be acceptable to someone who doesn't have one?