RE: atapi scsi ?

Subject: RE: atapi scsi ?
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 17:10:25 AKDT

> So what they're saying is the manufacturers who made the three different
> motherboards I've got at home didn't know what they were writing
> about when the wrote "IDE" in their documentation? Interesting.
> Technically, they are correct...two names that, in practice, refer
> to the same devices.
>
> Anyway, while IDE and SCSI drives look very similar on the outside, they've
> got very different controllers. AFAIK, there's no way to put an IDE
> device into a SCSI case or vice-versa. The only converters I've
> seen are from one type of SCSI to another type of SCSI; if anybody
> else knows of any way to put an IDE device onto a SCSI bus (or vice
> versa, but why would anybody build that?) I'd love to hear about it.

I personally have seen several companies that make EIDE to SCSI converters,
which allow you to put EIDE hard drives onto a SCSI bus. I've never used
one, but if you go to the comp.sys.sgi.* forums, there's about ten people
there that are actively using them, and have posted links to the companies
selling them. . .

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto