Re: more about add pop-ups

Subject: Re: more about add pop-ups
From: James Gibson (twistedhammer@subdimension.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 14:26:26 AKDT

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Mike Barsalou wrote:

> OK...so now I have this adware program....good stuff.
>
> I ran across another idea that I really like. The ideas is to put these
> hostnames in your DNS files and poing them to 127.0.0.1.
>
> This will work for named hosts, but not if the program points to a specific
> IP.
>
> Anyone have a reason why you wouldn't want to use DNS to stop some of the
> add stuff?

Not specific to any linux adware, but I ran into this using net2phone's
(windows only) client (www.net2phone.com): I setup a windows firewall to
block all traffic on port 80 from this program, thus blocking their ads.
after making several phone calls I checked my account and they had doubled
the rate of the calls after detecting that I was not recieving their ads.
Doh!

So, there is an example of why blocking ads in a package can be a Bad
Thing(tm). It also shows that the ad-ware guys aren't (all) stupid.

James Gibson