RE: atapi scsi ?

Subject: RE: atapi scsi ?
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 12:23:55 AKDT

On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 10:50, stephen king wrote:

> <snip>
> According to www.ata-atapi.com,
>
> ATA and ATAPI are the real names for the mass storage device interface
> that is frequently called IDE and EIDE. IDE and EIDE are mostly used by
> marketing people who do not know what they are selling and by writers
> for magazines who do not know what they are writing about.
> </snip>
>
> So what they're saying is the manufacturers who made the three different
> motherboards I've got at home didn't know what they were writing about when
> the wrote "IDE" in their documentation? Interesting. Technically, they are
> correct...two names that, in practice, refer to the same devices.
>
> Anyway, while IDE and SCSI drives look very similar on the outside, they've
> got very different controllers. AFAIK, there's no way to put an IDE device
> into a SCSI case or vice-versa. The only converters I've seen are from one
> type of SCSI to another type of SCSI; if anybody else knows of any way to
> put an IDE device onto a SCSI bus (or vice versa, but why would anybody
> build that?) I'd love to hear about it.
>
> Stephen

This is what started my quest.I ended up going with the scsi unit
although I am intrigued with the fire wire stuff.
http://www.proh.com/DVD_recorders_Pioneer_DVR-A04_DVD-R-RW_drive_sales.shtml

This is the technology for ide-firewire conversion ,I don't know that it
applies to ide-scsi. I am definitely on a learning curve here :) Thanks
for the responses.
http://www.scsipro.com/catalog/index.htm

--
Greg Madden