RE: atapi scsi ?

Subject: RE: atapi scsi ?
From: stephen king (sking@chartercollege.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 10:50:50 AKDT

<snip>
According to www.ata-atapi.com,

ATA and ATAPI are the real names for the mass storage device interface
that is frequently called IDE and EIDE. IDE and EIDE are mostly used by
marketing people who do not know what they are selling and by writers
for magazines who do not know what they are writing about.
</snip>

So what they're saying is the manufacturers who made the three different
motherboards I've got at home didn't know what they were writing about when
the wrote "IDE" in their documentation? Interesting. Technically, they are
correct...two names that, in practice, refer to the same devices.

Anyway, while IDE and SCSI drives look very similar on the outside, they've
got very different controllers. AFAIK, there's no way to put an IDE device
into a SCSI case or vice-versa. The only converters I've seen are from one
type of SCSI to another type of SCSI; if anybody else knows of any way to
put an IDE device onto a SCSI bus (or vice versa, but why would anybody
build that?) I'd love to hear about it.

Stephen