Re: non-x86 Slack

Subject: Re: non-x86 Slack
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 16:54:06 AKDT

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Arthur Corliss wrote:

> I'm still running the proprietary OS'es on my non-x86 boxes. I know there's
> a few people running Linux on Sparc and Alphas, what distros are you guys
> using? Anyone running Linux on anything else?

My venerable Alphastation 200 4/233 was running Red Hat 5.1 for several
years, but it's now running FreeBSD. I've also got a 533MHz 164LX
(another Alpha) that is sitting in an antistatic bag at the moment, but
when it was running I had Red Hat 6.2 (and 7.0, and FreeBSD) on it. I
also have a 500MHz PC164 that I briefly ran RH 6.2 on, but something on
the motherboard's fried.

I haven't tried Debian on the Alpha, but I think that's where most of the
momentum is heading now. Red Hat never did seem to put much effort into
fixing Alpha (or general 64 bit) specific bugs. I always had a number of
goofy problems with RH on Alpha (unaligned traps, strangely formatted man
pages [regardless of terminal type], etc.) that I just don't see with
FreeBSD. I would imagine Debian would be much better than RH in this
area, but I can't say for sure.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax