Re: non-x86 Slack

Subject: Re: non-x86 Slack
From: Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@woods.net)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 12:44:22 AKDT

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Arthur Corliss wrote:

> > Actually, I meant their ports to other architectures. They had
> > projects for Alpha and SPARC, but they seem to be gone from Slackware's
> > ftp site.
>
> My bust. Nope, haven't really played with the ports at all. They had
> announced that they were going away, anyway, once Walnut Creek sold their
> interest.
>
> I'm still running the proprietary OS'es on my non-x86 boxes. I know there's
> a few people running Linux on Sparc and Alphas, what distros are you guys
> using? Anyone running Linux on anything else?

        Not that I have them online right now (or even with me), but
X86, Alpha, Sparc, StrongARM, and SGI MIPS (Indigo2 R4400SC2M
250Mhz(yes I know, no graphics under linux, but is the spare)).

As for distribs answer is custom for StrongARM and MIPS, custom or
debian for Alpha custom or slackware or debian for sparc, and slack or
a custom setup for x86.

I don't know the status of Slackware Alpha, the last time I looked it
was still there, though not getting alot of work. As to Slackware
SPARC it didn't really see any devel past the 7.x level, and was
dropped late last year from the main site. A group has taken over
development, and are calling it Splackware (SPARC Slackware or
sumsuch). The general idea is to stay fairly current with slackware
x86. The box I am writing this mail on (as opposed to the one I am
typing on) is a dual CPU SS20 running Slackware SPARC 7.x with
updated from the current Splack tree.

--
I route, therefore you are.