Re: bash syntax

Subject: Re: bash syntax
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 22:39:33 AKST

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002 bryan@ak.net wrote:

> Hmm, okay, it does work with the example you gave.
> What if you used CTRL-V before the quote on this line:
> $ echo '
> Would you expect it to print a quote? It doesn't on my system.
> I guess I'm missing the exact details of what CTRL-V does.

No, I wouldn't expect it to print a quote. While I'm not aware of what all
the rules are for this behaviour in bash (it's consistent enough within vi),
I would expect it to be controlled by context -- i.e., if you use it within
a string context (within quotes) it would print a quote:

        $ echo '<CTRL + V>''
        '

Ironically, though, it doesn't. So there's some rules here that I'm
unaware of. In essence, since I don't use bash like that, I'm not familiar
enough with it to explain why it doesn't work in this instance, but the
previous one does.

        --Arthur Corliss