Re: bash syntax

Subject: Re: bash syntax
bryan@ak.net
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 21:01:47 AKST

Arthur Corliss wrote in <Pine.LNX.4.44.0204052244260.23739-100000@sigurd.digitalmages.com>:

> On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 bryan@ak.net wrote:
>
> > > alias filter='sed 's/foo/bar/g''
> >
> > Thanks, Arthur, that's a good reminder. Only it doesn't work.
> > I see that it works with control characters, but not single or
> > double quotes. Too bad -- would have made things easy.
>
> It does on my system (at least for the example above). What exactly are you
> trying?

Hmm, okay, it does work with the example you gave.
What if you used CTRL-V before the quote on this line:
$ echo '
Would you expect it to print a quote? It doesn't on my system.
I guess I'm missing the exact details of what CTRL-V does.

(As per my other message, James's solution worked, so I'm happy now.)

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net