Re: Friday Nites @ APU

Subject: Re: Friday Nites @ APU
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 14:53:18 AKST

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Fielder George Dowding wrote:

> Holy Cow! I forgot about Mike Tibor - IT denizen of the Consortium
> Library and all-around good-guy.

Heheh... thanks for the kind words Fielder!

> Those of us interested in finding a home where we can count on a
> weekly meeting to bring our boxen and installation problems (not to
> mention the odd robot or home-brew box) ought to be thinking of how
> our presence can benefit the organization providing the space and
> pipe. This is not the first time a group has been welcomed
> initially, but after time and a change or two in administrators, the
> group has found the welcome mat withdrawn. Two points loom large in
> my memory: a) the group forgets its guest status, and b) the
> administrator(s) forget the reason(s) the group was offered a home
> in the first place. Both a) and b) are the responsibility of the
> group to keep fresh if they want to continue the relationship.
>
> I note that Mike's comments are an early warning of the above two
> points. There are members of this group who are benefiting from the
> facilities provided by UAA and are students at UAA, but they are not
> aware of the relationship. Also, if Mike disappears, would this very
> list disappear? It is not too late to attend to improving the
> group's relationship to UAA. Also,
>
> I for one am very thankful that we had the opportunity to gather at
> APU. Some gesture to indicate our gratitude to APU is just basic,
> Kindergarten level, human relations. I think the very minimum would
> be the "Thank You" card with a dozen or so signatures.
>
> Well, it looks like I have gotten my money's worth. Cheerio! fgd

Some very wise words here! One possibility I'll throw out for working
with UAA might be to see if we could do something with the CS or CIOS or
other departments. I have no idea what that "something" might be, nor do
I have any contacts with CS or CIOS departments, but Fielder hit the nail
on the head--doors will open for AKLUG much more easily if we can provide
"something" in exchange for meeting space, bandwidth, etc. BTW--the thank
you card idea is great!

Mike