Re: Bandwidth (Was: Friday Nites @ APU)

Subject: Re: Bandwidth (Was: Friday Nites @ APU)
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 10:09:39 AKST

Greetings!

We made use of the 10BT ethernet campus connection to the Internet.
Someone (Jim Gribbins, Stanley Long, ?) brought a hub which made the
campus connection then we could all connect (typically half a dozen
boxen) through the hub.

I suppose a minimum DSL (320/240) pipe would have been adequate.
Although, for the times someone (see above) wanted to download a CD
image or two, greater bandwidth might have been useful. My
experience suggests most downloads are choked by the nature of the
TCP/IP, the realities of traffic overload on portions of the
Internet itself, and the source server's speed, load, and
connection.

Cheerio! fgd