Re: Friday Nites @ APU

Subject: Re: Friday Nites @ APU
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 02:01:01 AKST

On Tue, 05 Mar 2002 20:23:00 -0900
Anthony Valentine <amv@akvalentine.com> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Is there a particular reason to be looking to schools for a
> location? I.E. will any location work if it has enough room and
> bandwidth?
>
> Anthony
SNIP!

Hmmm... The Friday night mini-install fests were quite informal,
no-cost/charge for help, social (inspite of ourselves), and
benefitted from the 501(c)(3) status of APU as an educational
institution. With the exception of the lack of APU student
participation, although I have no idea of the level of this lack,
the Friday night get-together's fit the picture of a club under the
auspices of a university. I doubt it would have worked at a high
school or lower grade school. The university (APU and UAA are in
fact typical examples of small universities, believe it or not)
encourages student organizations as part of the transition from the
cloistered halls of academia to the rough and tumble of the
work-a-day world. Hence, the university administrators require a
minimum level of organization to give the students a maximum level
of freedom.

To address your question, any location would work if it has enough
room and bandwidth. However, all such locations have an
administrator. The problem is to find that combination of location
with an administrator who wants such a group to meet on its
premises. The group's task is to discover what benefit it will
provide to the location's administrator. Answering this question
will provide insight to the type of organization that would have an
administrator likely to put out the welcome mat.