Re: SuSE and dsl

Subject: Re: SuSE and dsl
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 06:27:22 AKST

> The Nortel modems use the cDSL technologies which only support 2 MAC
> addresses behind the modem. Plug in any more and the modem stops
> functioning. They are kind of crappy in that esteem.

Gotcha.

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002,
> Jim Courtney wrote:
>
> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:44:13 -0900
> From: Jim Courtney <courtney@ieee.org>
> To: Arthur Corliss <arthur@corlissfamily.org>, aklug@aklug.org
> Subject: Re: SuSE and dsl
>
> You just plug all your machines, and your modem, into a hub/switch. The
modem
> has a MAC address just like the NIC cards on the LAN do. Try it out - you
can
> make a firewall/NAT box with a single NIC and a hub - at least it works with
> MTA's Paradyne modems. I don't know why the Nortel modems wouldn't work too.

That's the first time I've heard of that. I would be a little leary of
putting the modem on a hub, though, since what's to stop any other user from
trying to run PPPoe on their box as well? Have to wonder what kind of
conflicts that would cause.

Learnt something new. ;-)

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto