Re: Setting up mail server

Subject: Re: Setting up mail server
From: James Bagley Jr. (james@thelostnet.net)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 00:01:02 AKST

Justin,

Just looking at the whois dabatase for enderakonline.com:

   Domain Name: ENDERAKONLINE.COM

   Administrative Contact, Billing Contact:
      Dieters, Justin (JD26517) enderak@gci.net
      5431 Camelot Dr.
      Anchorage, AK 99508
      US
      907-929-4937
   Technical Contact:
      GCI Domain Administrator (GDA5-ORG) dnsadmin@GCI.NET
      GCI
      2550 Denali St.
      Anchorage, AK 99503
      US
      907 868-0100
      Fax- 907 868-632

   Record last updated on 27-Jul-2001.
   Record expires on 27-Jul-2003.
   Record created on 27-Jul-2001.
   Database last updated on 24-Dec-2001 16:35:00 EST.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   ILIAMNA.GCI.NET 208.138.130.16
   SPURR.GCI.NET 206.96.62.16

And running a few dns queries:

$ nslookup
Default Server: diogenes.private.lan
Address: 10.0.0.1

> server iliamna.gci.net
Default Server: iliamna.gci.net
Address: 208.138.130.16

> ls -t mx enderakonline.com
[iliamna.gci.net]
$ORIGIN enderakonline.com.
@ 1D IN MX 10 mail
> mail.enderakonline.com
Server: iliamna.gci.net
Address: 208.138.130.16

Name: mail.enderakonline.com
Address: 24.237.3.124

> exit

This tells me that all of the right info is in the dns database to set
*your* box as the mail exchanger (the MX record) for your domain. Looks
like the GCI dnsadmin did it mostly right. Your reverse lookup doesn't
match your domain name, This isn't terribly important as long as you
understand it.

All you really need to do is setup a mail exchanger on your system. I
recomend postfix (http://www.postfix.org/), but many packages are
available. From there you can add as many email addresses as you like (I
have like 14 or so addresses aliased to my address).

One problem you may run into with two ways to solve it. Some mail
exchangers won't accept mail from systems who's reverse does not match
their forward. Your mail server has to advertise a hostname, if 'nslookup
<your_ip_address>' does not match the advertised hostname the remote
system could close the connection. You can either set the hostname to
cable-blah-blah-anchorageak.net in the mail exchanger config file (main.cf
in postfix), or you can set a 'relayhost = mta-1.gci.net' to let GCI's
mail server deal with sending mail for you. Getting GCI to change the
reverse mapping is another, remote?, possibility.

That was probably longer than it needed to be. Oh well...

Happy Holidays,

James