Re: Setting up mail server

Subject: Re: Setting up mail server
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 14:49:29 AKST

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, Justin Dieters wrote:
> I don't know too much about all this stuff - which is the main reason I
> chose to host my own server for $10/month (for the static IP) than to
> have gci host my site for $5/month or whatever it is. Plus, it's nice
> having a web server with a 10 Gig space limit instead of a 5 Meg limit.. :)

The "static IP only" is $25 setup and $10/mo, while the full setup for a
domain is $50 setup and $10/mo. That's all the DNS, MX, etc. plus either
a) a static IP and pointing everything to you, or b) they host it on their
servers. Same price either way...

I didn't know much about it either when I started, but GCI was willing to
help me out a bit (mainly with the DNS entries and such that I needed to
*properly* register the site), plus the Debian installs worked quite well.
The Sendmail and Apache setups worked nicely :-)