Re: running my own DNS

Subject: Re: running my own DNS
augustus@acerbic.org
Date: Sun Dec 09 2001 - 16:27:19 AKST

> > Oh and for the record it's not that GCI "won't let us" do reverse DNS,
> > there are several valid technical reasons that make it impossible(well
> > extremely impractical) for cablemodem users (even static IP holders) to be
> > given control over their own reverse DNS - which is explained in (guess
> > where) the HOWTO.
>
> Hmm... I disagree with that one. There really aren't *any* valid
> technical reasons that GCI (or any ISP for that matter) won't do reverse
> DNS. Now, there may very well be valid BUSINESS reasons that prevent them
> from doing it, but the reality of it is that both A records and PTR

Take a closer look at what I said, I didn't say it was technically
impossible for GCI to do reverse DNS for customers, I said there were
techinical reasons why you and me can't do our own reverse DNS off of a
cable modem. It's very easy for GCI to do it for you and if you badger the
right people they'll do it.

See http://www.aklug.org/LDP/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.5 for why you and
I can't control the reverse zone for our little vanity domains.

-Josh