Re: running my own DNS

Subject: Re: running my own DNS
lee@afabco.com
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 12:12:35 AKST

Actually, I'm dealing with a case now where the lack of a reverse-DNS
is -claimed- to be the problem.

My mom is on Maw and Paw Kettle's isp (lcc.net, aka txu-com.net and
apologies to maw and paw kettle) in podunk texas. When I temporarily used a
free webmail service a bit ago, all of a sudden all my emails to her from
that service bounced. Everywhere else in the world recieved them just fine,
just not lcc.net.

After many long-distance calls (emails couldn't get to them, right),
somebody who actually knew some jargon said that the problem was that
mailandnews.com didn't clear their reverse-dns check, and so bounced. And
"yes, we know that most of the rest of the world doesn't do strict
reverse-dns checking for smtp, nor are really able to maintain their reverse
dns records, but that's not our problem."

This is what prompted me to go ahead and set up my own email services.

Of course, I don't have any control over my reverse-dns records now either,
and my emails to my mom go thru just fine now. Most of the time.

Go figure.

Anyway, the point of all that (other than a b*tch session, and I thank you
kindly for your patience) was to point out that there are cases where
reverse-dns can matter, and other cases where it can be used as an excuse.

Lee