Re: running my own DNS

Subject: Re: running my own DNS
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 18:13:55 AKST

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 augustus@acerbic.org wrote:

> Oh and for the record it's not that GCI "won't let us" do reverse DNS,
> there are several valid technical reasons that make it impossible(well
> extremely impractical) for cablemodem users (even static IP holders) to be
> given control over their own reverse DNS - which is explained in (guess
> where) the HOWTO.

Hmm... I disagree with that one. There really aren't *any* valid
technical reasons that GCI (or any ISP for that matter) won't do reverse
DNS. Now, there may very well be valid BUSINESS reasons that prevent them
from doing it, but the reality of it is that both A records and PTR
records are each just one line in a text file. Even delegating a zone is
completely trivial, technically speaking. The thing is, GCI (and any
other ISP for that matter) has to look at everything they do for customers
with a critical eye for what makes good business sense, and what doesn't.
Doing reverse DNS for customers without charging extra doesn't make good
business sense simply because of what you mentioned earlier--most services
don't REQUIRE matching A and PTR records. Why offer it for free when
there's no compelling reason to do so?

To be perfectly honest, I don't know why GCI (or any other ISP for that
matter) doesn't offer reverse DNS for an additional $10/month, just like
doubling the basic cablemodem bandwidth, a static IP, etc. There are
obviously people who need and/or want this, and are willing to pay for it.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax